Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nursing School Update October 2010

Well, as you know I have been in Nursing School full time since May 17th. We are on our second round of clinicals. We have started the Med Surge part of it. I am still in a Nursing Home but that is part of the rotation. We are now working similar hours of actual nurses. I am on a night rotation now. I have to say, I still love what I am doing. I have never felt better about a profession than I do right now. I love to help people and I love science and medicine. This is the perfect field for me. I have gotten to do actual skills on people that I thought wouldn't occur this early in the rotation. I have gotten to do a Foley Catheter, lots of injections although not enough. ( I love to give shots!) I have also gotten to do wound care which is also very interesting. If you can't stand blood and bone you shouldn't do this one. I have also done colostomy care but I could have lived without this experience. I have also messed with Peg Tubes which I liked. I have also got my first dose of the consequences of what happens if you are an advocate for the patients and doing what is right. Sometimes doing what is right is not very popular. I have experienced social isolation. This bothered me at first but I got over it. I didn't pay that much for school to make friends I am paying that to get an education. Someone did not do something they were supposed to and I had said something about it. Come to find out I was not the only one. None the less it was not popular with several people. I did the right thing and I am content with that but they weren't. I have learned to make my skin a little thicker. It comes with the territory. I am getting excited because we are almost at the half way point. Class work and studying for test is getting a little more difficult but it is mostly self discipline at this point. I need to study more but it is getting a little harder to want to do so. I have to say I am very grateful for my good grades. I have managed to stay on the Director's Honor Roll since I have started. I have also managed to keep my 100% attendance the last 4 months. I have missed 1 day since I have started. I am very proud of that. I hope you enjoyed reading this. There will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment